Rural Toilet Builder Course
The course is aimed at empowering rural women to gain the necessary knowledge, skills and attitudes to single / twin pit using locally available tools and materials, given the design and measurements. Combined with the sanitation and hygiene awareness, this project aims at helping villages become open defecation free. The course covers the following competencies:
- Identify and use tools & materials required to construct a toilet.
- Demonstrate masonry and plumbing skills such as measurement, laying blocks, cement mortar preparation.
- Joining PVC pipes using solvent cement or flame, marking and cutting PVC pipes, check level using spirit level or water level, cement mortar preparation, concrete preparation, plastering etc.
- Maintain a toilet (repairs).
- Insertion of IV Cannula.
- Additional skills – block making, concrete lid construction.
Subject Matter Experts:
Br.Anil Varma, Construction head, Amrita University,Ettimadai
Stuart Macindoe, Construction specialist, San Ramon, USA
- Course developed in 9 languages and deployed in over 17 states
- Over 100 rural women trained in toilet construction and over 120 toilets built
- Low literacy interactive games designed and piloted
Videos and Images:
Share this Post